Sunday, December 24, 2006

Windows Server 2003 First Impression

My first impression of Windows Server 2003 is that "Windows is not easy" as know I've faced many problems that I couldn't solve it easily nor solve it at all. The first problem I've faced that newer versions of Microsoft software doesn't support the system (I don't know how a company doesn't support its OS for its programs). Then I tried to install updates (Service Packs) and I was surprised because of the dependencies it requires. It requires .NET Framework 1.1 not earlier than SP1 (This version comes with .NET framework 1.1 but not service pack1) and BITS server 2 (it comes also with bits server 1).

After this very small experience with such OS, I've found that Linux was so easy for server management. despite of I was editing its configuration files and typing commands but at least the system shipped with embedded help system (Manual and Info pages) which I've learned so much from. At the opposite side I've found that is no helpful help in the so called Windows Server.

Another point is the hardware devices drivers non of the hardware drivers was installed at the opposite side Linux have installed all my device perfectly, even the win modem driver was installed so easy by myself.

At last a word for those are using Microsoft products for it easiness I say Windows is not easy as you may thought. It also requires some patience to learn how to administrate as every thing in live is at least in the world of software. So think before choosing.

No comments: